The site is a 7 mile segment of "The Lander Cut-off of the
Oregon Trail", the first road commissioned by Congress with
funding for location and construction. F.W. Lander
supervised the project. Opened in 1858 to serve as an
alternate route between Star Valley and Fort Hall, fresh
feed and water were abundant. Byway travelers are on the
"Trail" from the southwest to the southeast corner of Grays
Lake. It is an historically important event in the Oregon
Trail emigration saga.
Gravesites along the Lander trail.
Afton Wyoming's Lander
Idaho State Historical
Society - History and Photos of Lander's Trail